Tooth loss can occur due to factors like tooth decay, gum disease, injury and aging. While tooth loss can be challenging, there are several ways to get your healthy smile back.
Two popular options are dental implants and dentures. Both restore your beautiful smile and improve your oral health. Let us look more closely at these options to determine the best investment for you!
Dentures are removable dental apparatuses used to replace missing teeth. They consist of artificial teeth made of resin or porcelain attached to a gum-coloured acrylic base and sit over the gums. Dentures can be full (replacing all teeth) or partial (replacing only a few missing teeth). They are custom-made to fit the shape of your mouth and held in place using suction or denture adhesive. Dentures can last several years with proper care and maintenance. However, they require regular adjustments and replacement over time.
Dental implants are a more permanent and fixed solution for tooth loss. They involve surgically placing titanium posts into the jawbone to act as artificial tooth roots. After a healing period, prosthetic teeth are attached to the implants, providing a stable and natural-looking replacement.
Dental implants offer several advantages, including improved biting and chewing functionality, enhanced aesthetics and preservation of jawbone density. With proper care, they can last a lifetime.
What Are the Benefits of Replacing Lost Teeth?
When you lose a tooth, getting it replaced is more than just about looking good. It’s essential for your oral health and overall well-being. Here’s why getting false teeth or implants can make a big difference:
- Improved Looks and Functionality: Missing teeth can make it hard to bite, chew or talk properly. Dentures and implants look and act just like real teeth. They help bring back your healthy smile and facial appearance, making you feel more confident and at ease around others.
- Enhanced Long-term Oral Health: When you lose a tooth, the bone breaks down due to lack of use. Implants are placed right into that bone, keeping it stimulated and healthy. That helps stop bone loss and keep your face looking youthful and natural. Dentures also support the lips and cheeks.
- Prevention of Other Dental Problems: Gaps between teeth can lead to other oral health problems. Your remaining teeth might start to move and become crooked, compromising your bite and how your teeth line up. Filling in these gaps prevents such problems, keeping your teeth in good shape.
- Increased Comfort: Tooth replacements, like implants, are attached firmly to the bone in your jaw. They stay put and are comfortable to wear, unlike removable dentures that can slip or move when eating, talking or laughing.
- Long-lasting Durability: Depending on what type of tooth replacement you choose, like implants, you could get something that lasts a long time. Implants are made from materials like titanium that can bond with your jawbone, lasting a lifetime if you care for them properly. You don’t have to keep getting them replaced, saving you time and money.
- Better Nutrition and Digestion: If you’re missing teeth or find it hard to chew, you might not be able to eat all the foods you love, affecting your diet. Having all your teeth makes it easier to eat a wide range of foods, helping you get all the nutrients you need and improving your digestive health.
Consult your dentist to determine the best tooth replacement option for your situation.
Dental Implants in North Vancouver
Dental implants are often considered the smartest long-term investment for your smile. They provide unmatched steadiness, longevity and function, ensuring your smile stays beautiful longer. At Peak Dental Arts, our skilled team is eager to help you restore your smile.